Cami

Cami

Shatter Me  - Tahereh Mafi This book has many problems, one of them being the prose, which is very purply at the beginning, but it gets better as the story progresses, as well as the strikethroughs that plague the first few chapters. As for the story itself, it’s more romance than dystopia and a very sappy one. One of the biggest problems of the novel is Juliette. She starts as a very damaged protagonist full of angst, which is understandable given the fact that she has been locked up for so long because of her “condition”. But at the moment she is free, her personality changes completely and I just don’t think she would recover that quickly from what she went through, considering the mental state she is in at the beginning of the book. Another thing that bothered me was how healthy she looked after being practically starved while she was imprisoned. I mean, with the amount of food they gave her at least she should have looked very thin and have brittle hair or something like that, but apparently she shows no sign of this. On the contrary, almost every guy Juliette encounters flirts with her or tells her she looks “stunning” and stuff like that. I didn´t see the need for that either, it was weird and a bit creepy sometimes. Overall it is a very predictable read and, although the premise is interesting, it could have been executed better.